Douglas A. Johnston
CPA, CGA, Associate
Doug started his career in 1974, received his Certified General Accountant designation in 1976 and became partner at Barclay Tarr Walters & Co. in 1977. In 1990, he bought out the partners and continued the practice which later became Johnston, Johnston & Associates Ltd. With 40 years of public practice experience, Doug has extensive experience in all areas of public practice. Doug primarily deals with business advisory services which include consulting on the purchase and sale of businesses, assisting in business valuations, succession planning and assisting in long-term strategic planning for larger private enterprises. Doug also has extensive experience with advanced re-organizations and corporate tax planning. Audit experience includes audit leader for the Certified General Accountants Association of Canada and the Certified General Accountants Association of British Columbia.
Doug has been actively involved in the community in various ways:
- Served as director of administration for the Nanaimo 2005 BC Disability Games Society.
- Served as president of United Way of Nanaimo
- Served as Chairman of the Nanaimo Arena Society. This society was largely responsible for the construction of the Cliff McNabb Arena.
- Served as vice-chairman of the Nanaimo Centennial Recreation Society. This Society was responsible for bringing the Royal Bank Cup Junior Canadian Hockey Championship to Nanaimo in 1998.
- Served as chairman of the Heritage Revitalization Program (a committee for the City of Nanaimo) responsible for administration of the Fitzwilliam Street revitalization program.
- Served as director and chapter chairman of the Upper Vancouver Island Chapter of the Certified General Accountants Association of British Columbia.
- Member of the Nanaimo Chamber of Commerce and the Nanaimo Lodge No. 110.
- Current board member of the Nanaimo Hospital Foundation